Re: dot restrictions on brake hoses?

The DOT cares about failure of the hose over time.  (it's a big
government thing - if you don't like it vote libertarian - www.lp.org)

The DOT ones I have seen have an extra plastic sheath covering the
braid.  To keep road sand and dirt from getting inside the braid and
cutting into the tube inside.

I'd swing the extra few bucks. (accepting the fact that most of the
additional cost covers the steps required to meat the regulations and
not the actual part)