Headlight Issues (U.S. ones this time)

So I decided to take my US headlights off to check things out around
there (mmm rust).  Anyways, when I went to reconnect them, and the
battery, they started flashing on and off.  The parking lights and
dashboardlights only though.  And not as fast as the hazards.  All of
the lights work normally otherwise (turn signals, highs, lows, dash
lights).  But no matter what I do, they still flash.  So what do I do?
I can't drive around with flashing lights...

Where do I start looking?