Re: 9A close ratio tranny

According to what I've researched on ETKA, the 9A was fitted to '8/84 -
7/85 Golf, 1/85 - 7/85 Jetta, 7/84 - 7/84 Rabbit, 7/84 - 7/84 Scirocco.
 It has 100mm driveaxle flanges and an 8v style input shaft.

I don't know about the reverse light switch, but there are some online
020 charts that address this.

Long story short, yes it will work, you may want to put 90mm flanges on
it if that's what your car has.  My only assumption here is that there
nothing different about an Audi 3A block vs. a 'normal' VW block (don't
know first-hand, never personally bolted one up)

Ron