Failing suspension, Scirocco hurting

I know the suspension question has been done a few times, but my question
isn't Brand specific, rather, preformance/quality specific. The car
currently has a Bilstein Neuspeed combo (exact type unknown) which takes
corners like it was on rails, but also feels like it drives on rails - that
is to say toss a penny on the track and I'll jump the rails.

The suspension is shitty - those little reflectors on the road are like
sharp jolts .. offsets in the pavement have me in fear of my frame and
windshield. We're talking bumpstop and beyond when I go over these.

What can I get that'll still give me a lowered look, but improve the ride
quality? I figure the car is sitting 2" low .. no finger gap between top of
tire and fender. I will sacrifice the low stance the PO thought was
"carefully lowered". Something in the 1"-1.5" range?

My baby won't put up with this harsh ride too much longer .. the aligment
was shot after 2 months, and just this weekend the rail that guides the
sunroof when it tilts up snapped in two after I hit one of those vicious
pavement changes.

Thanks for any info you can send my way. I have to save the car from these
Scirocco-bashing California roads.

Tobias

1988 16V Scirocco - Black
1983  8V Scirocco - Montego Black Metallic
Cars gone to new homes:
1987 16V Scirocco - Flash Silver
1986  8V Scirocco - Mars Red
To contact me directly: scirocco16v@imaginehow.com