Re: A 'What is' and 'What does it do' question!

>From: geordy <grostad@thresholdnetworks.com>
>
>I was saying that I tweaked the ignition timing and felt a powerband
>change.
>So that is infact just my imagination then?

This was a Subaru, right? I'm not familiar with them, but on the JH motor,
as well as the 1.7 and 1.6's advancing the ignition timing will increase the
power over all RPM's. Don't know if it is more at one end, but it's not a
shift like with the Valve timing.

OTOH, on cars with knock sensing ignition(RD motors, and 16V, etc.) trying
to advance the timing by playing with the distributor has little effect.
Some say that you get worse performance by going past the 6degree stock
setting. This most likely has to do with the fact that the knock sensing
system keeps the ignition advanced as much as possible until pinging is
detected. It then retards until no more pinging is detectes.

The Subaru could be a mix, where at the low RPM the HP benefits from some
advance, but at high RPM it suffers. That's just a guess.

I'm not saying either way that what you felt was real or imagined. Could
very well be real, a dyno check is the best way to know.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8