Re: Tech: CV axle install problems.

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:59:13PM -0400, Brian McGarvey wrote:

> Hey yall.
> I have a problem.
> Worked on taking both CV's out of a 16v.... would have been nice to know
> that you need to take off the front lower stock anti-sway bar before hand(
> havent read the manual yet...doh) to get the CV's in and out.

No you dont... I did it without removing the antisway bar or ball joint,
in the parking lot behind Woodruff, no less. (Yeah, I'm Tech alum.) The
trick is: Put the transmission into second gear, crank the steering wheel
all the way to one side, then half a turn back. You should then have enuf
room to swing the inner CV up, and remove the outer end from the hub. This
is for the drivers side, the passenger side should be no prob.

> Well anyway the problem is as follows.
> After romoving and replacing both sides, I torqued down the axle nuts with
> jack + jack handle + 30mm socket. I found that the driver side wheel wont
> turn AT ALL. ie i spun the other wheel trying to get it to roll.
> I confirmed that it is the mating surface between the hub and the outer cv
> joint. cause i losened it up pounded the axle back through the hole a
> little and viola(yes i know it is a string instument)... the wheel rolls
> again. any suggestions.
>
> Potterman suggested might be the circlip or something else in the hub
> cause'n it.

Aye, that sure sounds like the problem. There is a shoulder on hte pouter
CV. VW changed the diameter of this shoulder at some point. You need the
wheel bearing circlip to fit around the outside of this shoulder.

> Oh I also need an adjuster for the powersteering pump bracket you know
> that thing that allows me to tighten the belt...

I'll be visting the pull-a-part this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for
one. Is your PS pump bracket cracked? The tensioner hardware often
vibrates off and gets lost when the bracket cracks. Happened on my old
16V.

Dan

--
You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 Nuclear-Powered Pan-Sexual
Roto-Plooker. And you're gonna have to pay for it! So give up, you