Re: Tech: CV axle install problems.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Harry Dean Stanton wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:59:13PM -0400, Brian McGarvey wrote:
>
> > Hey yall.
> > I have a problem.
> > Worked on taking both CV's out of a 16v.... would have been nice to know
> > that you need to take off the front lower stock anti-sway bar before hand(
> > havent read the manual yet...doh) to get the CV's in and out.
>
> No you dont... I did it without removing the antisway bar or ball joint,
> in the parking lot behind Woodruff, no less. (Yeah, I'm Tech alum.) The
> trick is: Put the transmission into second gear, crank the steering wheel
> all the way to one side, then half a turn back. You should then have enuf
> room to swing the inner CV up, and remove the outer end from the hub. This
> is for the drivers side, the passenger side should be no prob.

Whee,
WHere are you now?
and tell me ma tech's hell is worth it. (BSEE done --> MSEE current--PhD
EE later) please

I can see you getting the old ass worn out one that way. but getting it
back in would be monstorous.

> Aye, that sure sounds like the problem. There is a shoulder on hte pouter
> CV. VW changed the diameter of this shoulder at some point. You need the
> wheel bearing circlip to fit around the outside of this shoulder.

THats what I was trying to describe. the shoulder is what is coming in
contact with the carrier.

> I'll be visting the pull-a-part this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for
> one. Is your PS pump bracket cracked? The tensioner hardware often
> vibrates off and gets lost when the bracket cracks. Happened on my old
> 16V.

Thanks.
If it had vibrated off that would be one thing. the PO just deleted it. or
one of the shops did. and replaced it w/ a bolt.

> Dan

BTW you coming to Cincy...