Re: Transmission question

Switching to the DFQ's drive shaft ('input shaft') sounds like quite a lot
of work for questionable gain.  You'll have to swap over the matching R, 1
and 2 gears from the DFQ (as their mates are machined into the driveshaft
and it's generally not a good idea to replace used gears singly.) This of
course assumes that the DQF drive shaft will receive all of the 4K's gears
- sounds like a worthy challenge!  Definitely a lot of transmission work
going on there... :)

Let us know how you get along with this one...

Drew

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Ron Pieper wrote:

> I just had a DFQ ('97 Golf 2.0L)given to me (free, the
> Cheapass way, but it has a broken case from an
> accident).  It has the 16V input shaft, a very wide
> ratio gearset, a 0.80 5th gear, and a 3.67 final
> drive.
>
> Guess where the 16V input shaft, 100mm flanges, and
> the 0.80 5th are going?  Into my 4K, for a Cheapass
> Ron Super Tranny!  Woohoo!!
>
> Ron
>
> --- Randy B <sirocco@telocity.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I need some assistance in finding if a trans will
> > fit an 81 Scirocco with JH
> > motor.
> >
> > This a for a friend of mine. He purchased a 5 speed
> > trans code DFN which I
> > believe is an 020 case.
> > Codes on the trans are:
> > 02K 301 107 inside belhousing
> > DFN 28108 on outside
> >
> > We believe this is for a 98 Golf 2.0L 8V
> > We realize we will need the 100mm axles.
> >
> > Question:
> > Will it bolt up to the JH block?
> > Any problems with using the stock clutch/flywheel
> > pieces for the JH
> > Any other warnings you might have?
> >
> > We don't wan't to tear out the old FF out and find
> > the new one wont bolt in.
> >
> > Thanks in advance :)
> >
> > Randy
> > 81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
> > 81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - my stock time capsule for
> > now
> >

> > --
> > Email LIST problems to:
> > scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca