Re: HVAC prob

Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/26/2000 1:35:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> scarince@gte.net writes:
>
> << My problem, and one that at least one other lister has, is that our fresh
>  air/recirc. behaves oddly, closing when it shouldn't, not closing when you
>  think it should.. >>
>
> I hear ya on that one.  I'll have put it in recirc and nothing will happen.
> Then a couple days later I will be driving down interstate at around 75 and I
> will hear a POP and the recirc door will close.  It will open right away when
> I want fresh air but it takes a few days for it to close again.  I think its
> kinda funny.
>
> Brian 86 16v

Brian,

My 86.5 16V recirc flap never closed for almost 14 years until early this year
when I fixed the problem once and for all.

I removed the vac distrib, marked all the vac lines, and disassembled the vac
distrib.  Then I lubed it with 'Neo Synthetic Watercraft Grease'.  This stuff is
very sticky (i.e. hangs onto what it's suppose to), but sufficiently slippery
when in contact with itself.

After reassembling my vac distrib and hooking up all the vac lines, my recirc
flap worked beautifully.  The trouble of course was that the poorly lubed vac
distrib could never be put in the recirc position, i.e. vent control lever ALL
THE WAY TO THE LEFT.  There was too much friction in the vac distrib for the
vent control lever to move it all the way to the left.

Now my vent control lever slides effortlessly all the way to the left.  In fact
so far that it actually sits alittle more to the left than the temp control
lever when it's in the max cold position.  It takes about 3-4 seconds  for the
recirc flap to close and 1-2 seconds for it to open.

Moral of the story, get your vac distrib lubed properly and your vent controls
will work much better, unless of course, your vac lines are hooked up
incorrectly or you've got bad servos.  You probably don't even need to buy a new
vac distrib.  I certainly didn't.

Jay Bichanich
86.5 Scirocco 16V Tornado Red (Original Owner)