New (to me) '84 and a power locks question

As of last night, I finally have a Scirocco back in my life.  It's a silver
'84 Wolfsburg Edition, loaded with power everything (steering, windows,
mirrors, and locks).  It needs some work, but that's why I bought it.  :)

Quick question (since I don't have a Bentley for it yet):  The gas flap
looks like it has a "post" that would be used with the power locks, but it
doesn't lock.  Is it supposed to lock?

Thanks,
Mike Carlson
'75 Scirocco "Helga" - R.I.P.
'85 Scirocco "Konrad" - Gone but not forgotten
'95 GTI VR6 "Wolfgang" - http://members.home.net/m-carlson/Wolfgang.htm
'84 Scirocco "[name to be determined]" - web page coming soon