Re: Digifant

    The Digifant systems are called engine management systems because fuel
injection, ignition, evaporative emission controls and idle speed are
controlled by a single integrated system.  One array of sensors supplies
information for all of these engine management functions to the central
Digifant electronic control unit (ECU).
    Fuel is supplied by electrically operated solenoid valve fuel injectors.
The ECU opens and closes the injectors ground circuits.  It controls fuel
metering by controlling the length of time that the injectors are open.
    For A1 cars, beginning in 1990, all cabriolet models are equipped with VW's
Digifant engine management system.  Most cars for the U.S. and Canada cars have
a version of the system called Digifant II.  Cars built for sale in California
are a special case.
    1990 California cars have a special CA-only version of Digifant II.  It has
some unique features and specs, but it is till called Digifant II.  Beginning
with 1991 models, the CA cars are equipped with a version called Digifant I.
    Digifant has some extra parts in it's system compared to CIS/CIS-E.  For
example, Digifant systems use a fuel rail with newer style fuel injectors.  A
different airflow sensor is used also.
    Items that are controlled by the Digifant control unit are as follows;
airflow sensor, Hall control unit, fuel pump relay, idle air stabilizer valve,
fuel injectors, ignition distributor with hall sending unit, knock sensor,
coolant temperature sensor, oxygen sensor, and throttle body valve switches.

--
DanK
'87 16V Black