Re: cutting springs

> I have the Neuspeed sports.  When I installed them, I noticed that the
> front sat higher than i wanted so i lopped off a coil on each of the
> fronts and it now sits level.  I unfortunately have the Boge turbogas,
> and am not to happy with their ride.  Better when i first put them on 5
> months ago but crapped out now.

Soap box mode activate:

You did this because you now know that it is a myth perpetrated by the
aftermarket companies that you don't need to buy one of the two struts
(Koni/Bilstein) designed to be used in conjunction with a lowering spring?
They get you locked in by selling you a strut that rides awesome with
lowering springs, but kills itself with every mile you drive.  Then they can
sell you several different sets of struts because you think that it was the
specific strut MFR that was to blame and you still don't want to spend so
much for the really good struts that you know will work.  It's a vicious
cycle man.

As you mentioned, after years of blowing front struts after 6-12 months and
then driving with blown struts for another 6-12 months, I ponied up for the
Bilstein Sports & haven't had any problems since (3years now). If I had to
Do it over, I might save my $$$$ for another month and buy the adjustable
Koni's.  it might be nice to adjust the stiffness cause my Bils. are quite
stifffff.

Off soap box,
David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco