Re: cutting springs

David & Michelle Barwick wrote:

> As you mentioned, after years of blowing front struts after 6-12 months and
> then driving with blown struts for another 6-12 months, I ponied up for the
> Bilstein Sports & haven't had any problems since (3years now). If I had to
> Do it over, I might save my $$$$ for another month and buy the adjustable
> Koni's.  it might be nice to adjust the stiffness cause my Bils. are quite
> stifffff.

Amen bruddah.  This is REALLY a big problem with a lot of the Mk4 & Passat
B5 crowd that are new to this kind of stuff.. go check out the forums at
VWVortex.  Tons of people are putting lowering springs on their cars and
leaving the stock struts & shox in place - ones that are woefully wimpy
in the first place even with the stock springs - then hammering them
to immediate death with shorter stiffer sport springs.  What doesn't help
is that VW is marketing "sport" springs made by Eibach and sold under
the VW name right over the counter at the parts dept., which VW says
are "made to work with your stock shocks".. despite the fact that they
lower the car about an inch and a half.  LIE!!  Obviously the marketing
guys at work, and I'll bet the engineers were NOT happy with that little
bit of deception.  I don't understand why they don't just go the whole
route and OEM somebody's proper struts/shox to go with them and not
bamboozle their customers.  Then again, these are the same bozos who have
been giving us Buick-like suspensions on stock VWs going back to the
bad old says of the "Malibu Rabbit"..   :(

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0