Re: 2.0 16v conversion in 85' 8v Roc'

>From: EuroVWtek@aol.com

>List,
>     I have a few questions for you guys about a 2.0
>16v engine swap in my 85' 8v 'Roc.

As you've heard by now, this is no simple undertaking. Another thought is
that because of all of the Scirocco 16v parts you will need (intake, exhaust
manifolds, downpipe, fuel injection, ignition, body kit, etc.), and because
the 85 Scirocco is _very_ similar to the 16V, you might actually save money
by selling your 85 and buying a 16V, then just get the bottom end from a
wrecked 2.0 16v car, and you're ready to go. You should be able to get a
bottom end for about $400-$500. Sometimes cheaper if you're lucky.

I hate to discourage obsessive spending of money on Scirocco's (it makes me
feel less deranged when I see others ), but here's an instance where I'd
suggest you wait. Go off to college, bring your car, love it (figuratively),
and when you graduate, get a second daily driver (any scirocco you like).
Then pick up a wrecked 1.8t Jetta, Golf, or NewBeetle and do that swap into
your 85. (there should be a few of them around by that time) That would be
cool. A chip, exhaust and bigger turbo and you're over 200 HP. You'll be
smiling.

Let us know what you decide.

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0