Re: 2.0 16v conversion in 85' 8v Roc'

>First, you can use the 2.0L head.  What I would do is IF the motor has low
>mileage and you KNOW that it is in good shape, just get the think in the car
>and running.  If you need any kind of major engine work (unless it needs to
>be bored) you can do it IN the car (main bearings, rod bearings, rings,
>pistons, headwork or swap to a 1.8L head).  The 1.8L head (in theory, I
>haven't seen any flow tests comparing the two) could be an add on for a
>later date.

I have the Techtonics Amazing Dyno stories they put out many years ago,
and the 1.8L head does in fact outflow the 2L 16v head on the intake
ports.  The 2L head outflows the 1.8L on the exhaust ports.  Take that
for what you will.

> DEFINEATELY use the Motronic system.

This is not a definite in my book, especially for a first time swapper.
The CIS-E system is simpler, and when taken from a 16v scirocco, just
fits right.  The Motronic system from a Golf/Jetta/Passat can be made
to fit of course, but modifications must be made for a decent fit.
Motronic wiring harnesses will not fit a Scirocco without modifications,
a Scirocco 16v CIS-E wiring harness fits without modifications.  Get it
running, broken in, and later on decide you want to wring the last tiny
bit out of your motor.  If that's what you were really after (getting
the best from your motor), then would you use all the old parts from
the Motronic engine?  No. You'd replace the knock sensors, the coil,
worn out connections, air bypass valve if necessary, new chip, etc.
What's the point unless everything is perfect?  This is expensive,
take my word for it.  CIS-E is cheap, and is at at least 90% of
Motronic performance.

>It is CIS-E based so the
>reliability is there (unlike the digifants) and you can chip the
>computer!!!!!

This is a natural progression in tuning your 16v engine.  When you
think you've reached the limits of a CIS-E system, then a Motronic
conversion might be the way to go (like it was for me).

> A Motronic upgrade is on my future upgrade list!!!  If you go
>with the Motronic (which I strongly reccomend) you will want to keep the
>2.0L intake.

I hate to point this out, but how can you strongly recomend something
you haven't done?  Not trying to be a jerk here, just wondering if
you've got a lot of other feedback...

> Not only will you end up moving the fuel system to the
>passenger side when you switch to Motronic (strongly reccomended) but the
>intake from the 2.0L is actually a bigger diameter for more top end flow.

It is false that you must move the fuel system (which is a pain in the
ass headache that a person doing an engine swap probably doesn't want
to worry about), but it is true that the intake manifolds are 42mm inside
diameter vs 40mm for the scirocco style intakes.  The reason moving
the fuel system isn't necessary is that the only reason it needs to be
moved to go to Motronic, is the fuel injectors and lines are specific
to Motronic UNLESS  you get CIS-E line to Motronic inline converters. I
bought them from Mike Potter and they are little works of art.  Ask if
anyone wants more details.  Just using the four converters allowed me to
keep my fuel system on the passenger side of the car (where is belongs
in an A1. :) ).

>(Scirocco intake is 40.0mm and Motronic intake is 42.5mm)  The motor will
>bolt up to your existing trans and it will still use the same motor mounts,
>although you may want to upgrade to the 16v motor mount (I use the diesel
>since it is about 1/3 of the price).  You will need to decide if you want to
>keep your A/C and P/S, and if not, you can use the non A/C alt. bracket.  If
>you use the non A/C alt bracket, then you can use the later style radiator
>and a normal upper radiator hose.  I would of done this when I did my swap
>initially but didn't know what I was doing.  The last thing I would
>reccomend is to upgrade to the 16v trans with the 100mm axles.

Great recommendation in this, as the 16v transaxles are a bit stronger
and less prone to machining themselves to death the the 90mm close ratio
8v ones.

>Dave
>77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
>84 Scirocco

I'd be happy to discuss any of this further. Good luck!

==Brett