Re: 2.0 16v conversion in 85' 8v Roc'

First, you can use the 2.0L head.  What I would do is IF the motor has low
mileage and you KNOW that it is in good shape, just get the think in the car
and running.  If you need any kind of major engine work (unless it needs to
be bored) you can do it IN the car (main bearings, rod bearings, rings,
pistons, headwork or swap to a 1.8L head).  The 1.8L head (in theory, I
haven't seen any flow tests comparing the two) could be an add on for a
later date.  DEFINEATELY use the Motronic system.  It is CIS-E based so the
reliability is there (unlike the digifants) and you can chip the
computer!!!!!  A Motronic upgrade is on my future upgrade list!!!  If you go
with the Motronic (which I strongly reccomend) you will want to keep the
2.0L intake.  Not only will you end up moving the fuel system to the
passenger side when you switch to Motronic (strongly reccomended) but the
intake from the 2.0L is actually a bigger diameter for more top end flow.
(Scirocco intake is 40.0mm and Motronic intake is 42.5mm)  The motor will
bolt up to your existing trans and it will still use the same motor mounts,
although you may want to upgrade to the 16v motor mount (I use the diesel
since it is about 1/3 of the price).  You will need to decide if you want to
keep your A/C and P/S, and if not, you can use the non A/C alt. bracket.  If
you use the non A/C alt bracket, then you can use the later style radiator
and a normal upper radiator hose.  I would of done this when I did my swap
initially but didn't know what I was doing.  The last thing I would
reccomend is to upgrade to the 16v trans with the 100mm axles.  I don't know
if you car came with the 100mm axles or not, but if it didn't you may have
to upgrade the knuckles, etc.  I had to upgrade the knuckles, lower control
arms, then I did the brakes.  Then I could use the axles and trans.  I also
upgraded the whole wiring harness.  This may not be necessary in your car,
but if you did do it, it would almost be a plug-it-in upgrade.  Let us know
if you need any other help, alot of us on the list have done this upgrade
and/or swap and have learned a bunch from others and from personal
experience!!  HTH!!!

Dave
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
84 Scirocco

> List,
>     I have a few(probably alot actually) questions for you guys about a
2.0
> 16v engine swap in my 85' 8v 'Roc. I dont even have an engine yet, but
what I
> wanted to know was, what all in involved in the transplant. For instance,
> could I use the 2.0 head as well, or do I need the 1.8? I know that the
2.0 l
> intake manifold is different, so would a scirocco 16v manifold bolt up to
the
> the 2.0l head? Next thing, would it be advisable to try and use the
Motronic
> injection, or just get the CIS-E injection for simplicity? Or is it not
even
> much harder to use Motronic? What all must be done as far as wiring
harnesses
> go if I am to use the motronic or cis-e injection? The motormounts should
be
> the same, right? Can I just use the scirocco 16v manifold and downpipe?
Will
> it bolt right up to my current stock cat? I know this is ALOT of Q's, but
> am looking for answers as I dont have experience in this field of engine
> swaps. Oh yeah, will I be able to use my existing fuel pumps and stuff? I
> have a JH 8v. Basically, I am looking for the most simplistic,
fundamental,
> cheapest, and easiest way to do this swap. I am not really into cutting
> corners, BUT if there are a few that can be cut without much of a worry, I
am
> willing to do it if possible. The reason I am so cheap and budget minded(I
> know pretty much EVERYONE here is budget minded though), is because I am
in
> my senior year at highschool, and my parents(especially my mom) are giving
me
> crap about ceasing my spending on the car in order to save a little for
> college, but I think I can work it all out somehow by the end of this
> schoolyear. Once again, I know there are ALOT of questions, but I know
that
> alot of you guys have done this type of swap, or know someone who has done
> this swap before, and I am looking for all the help I can get on this.
Your