Re: 2.0 16v conversion in 85' 8v Roc'

>List,
>    I have a few(probably alot actually) questions for you guys about a 2.0
>16v engine swap in my 85' 8v 'Roc. I dont even have an engine yet, but what I
>wanted to know was, what all in involved in the transplant.

Large blocks of time, and the willingness to turn piles of money into
parts.  Don't under estimate the cost of the tools to do the job either,
after doing so many major changes to mine and other peoples cars, I've
probably over a thousand into my tools alone.

>For instance,
>could I use the 2.0 head as well, or do I need the 1.8?

Either head works.  Many people recommend the 1.8 head stock due to
it's slightly better flowing intake ports.

> I know that the 2.0 l
>intake manifold is different, so would a scirocco 16v manifold bolt up to the
>the 2.0l head?

Yes, the castings are almost identical between the 1.8 and 2.0 head.  All
the same bolt holes are on both.

>Next thing, would it be advisable to try and use the Motronic
>injection, or just get the CIS-E injection for simplicity?

When doing the swap, I would suggest using CIS-E initially as it's much
simpler to get running.  Just removes a major variable from getting it
right.  Speaking as someone that has actually done a Motronic conversion,
it's not difficult but it can get expensive.  There's also more to go
wrong which will affect how well the engine runs if it runs at all.

>Or is it not even much harder to use Motronic?

It's 7 wires between the car harness / relay plate and Motronic harnesses,
you just have to know where they go.  Add a few more sensors, tons of
soldering, rewiring, and harness rerouting.

> What all must be done as far as wiring harnesses
>go if I am to use the motronic or cis-e injection?

Hard to answer this question.  You put it in correctly.  You route the
wires to sensors they go to.  With Motronic, you have to remove quite
a bit of the harness, and greatly shorten some of the portions left.
Mount the box(es) in the rain tray, start car.

>The motormounts should be
>the same, right?

Between 1.8 and 2L?  Yes.

>Can I just use the scirocco 16v manifold and downpipe?

You will have to, the A2 16v units won't work.  They are offset to the
side, while the A1 units go up the middle.

>Will  it bolt right up to my current stock cat?

No, the 16v cars use an integrated downpipe and cat stock.  You can replace
that with a TT style DP that eliminates the cat.

>I know this is ALOT of Q's, but I
>am looking for answers as I dont have experience in this field of engine
>swaps. Oh yeah, will I be able to use my existing fuel pumps and stuff?

Yes.

>have a JH 8v. Basically, I am looking for the most simplistic, fundamental,
>cheapest, and easiest way to do this swap. I am not really into cutting
>corners, BUT if there are a few that can be cut without much of a worry, I am
>willing to do it if possible. The reason I am so cheap and budget minded(I
>know pretty much EVERYONE here is budget minded though), is because I am in
>my senior year at highschool, and my parents(especially my mom) are giving me
>crap about ceasing my spending on the car in order to save a little for
>college, but I think I can work it all out somehow by the end of this
>schoolyear.

Sounds like you just might be dreamin' a little here, eh? :)  In working
on my car, I have found _THE_ absolute most critical component is:
Another Car.  That way, there's no pressure to get your best car on the
road the next day, and you can take your time and do it right.  save up
the money to buy the parts you _really_ want...all that.

>Thanks,
>Tim Fritz.

Good luck Tim, I hope your car dream comes true.  I've been working on
mine for 9 years and I'm JUST getting to some things now that I envisioned
doing when I bought the car.

==Brett