Re: Why do I keep wrecking speakers?

Daniel Brideau wrote:

> I am wrecking speakers.

> The previous owner cut holes in the rear package tray to fit 6X9 speakers.
The ones that I got > with the car rattled a bit playing low frequency
tones.  So, I go and get Wal-Mart's finest 6X9 > Pioneer 3-way speakers.
They sound great, but about 6 months later I manage to blow them out.  >
(darn Beastie Boys CD)

whether your receiver is high power or no power, you can blow speakers with
too much distortion.  Distortion to speakers is like detonation to engines.
My advice is to turn the bass down and when the speakers make that fuzzy
underwater sound on Sabotage, turn the volume down.  If you buy a quality
(read expensive) amplifier you can reduce the risk of blowing speakers since
the signal  is so much cleaner. "High-power" decks don't necessarily have
clean power (or even the quoted power for that matter).

Good luck,
David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI