Re: 2.0 8v.... whats the story morning glory?

well Sean,

the 3A is an alright way to go, but I would probably suggest
the vw ABA block.  You can usually find a lower mileage example
than the 3A, and it puts out a few more ft/lbs of torque.  The ABA
is also a smoother motor due to the longer rods and is less prone to
knocking.  The only downside is the ABA is generally a bit more
expensive than the 3A, but is probably easier to find in your local yards.
Oh yeah, the other downside is that the ABA is 16.5 mm taller, so
you may have some clearance issues on the throttle body, and you
need a longer downpipe (techtonics makes one).
You're looking at about $400 for a good low mileage block, and
you will be able to bolt up the solid head from the JH in your 84.
You'll need a crankcase breather cover, and the right distributor.
This combo will give you 10.5:1 compression, so it's a really good
 idea to wire in a knock sensor (easy).  You'll see about 115hp with
about 130ft/lbs of torque with the ABA block and your head with no other
mods.
I'm sure Jonas K. will tell you more about this....

Alex Ting
'90 jetta gli
'86 zender z400 rocco
'97 ducati 748 monoposto

Senior Account Manager
Millennium Solutions Group, Inc.
575 Menlo Dr. #4
Rocklin, CA  95765

Phone:  888.801.2001 ext. 228 or 916.630.2001
Fax:  916.630.2000
email:  alext@nu2u.net
icq #19613213