Advice on Cylinder Head Prep

I need advice on the best way to prepare my used cylinder head before
mounting it on my rebuilt 2-liter.

I've decided not to have the head rebuilt because of cost. Since the head
only has 50k miles on it I figure I can "get by" without re-building it. I
know some might wonder why I just want to "get by" when I'm going through
the trouble of balancing the bottom end. The reason is because I'd
"eventually" like to have my JH head rebuilt by Colin of tt. Colin said he
could get better flow out of a JH head than the Brazilian-made 3-bearing
head that came with the 2-liter. Colin quoted me $700 for the job. But it's
going to take some time to have it done, plus I have to get approval from
"the Warden" (or "wife" as she prefers to be called).

I figured that to have my head rebuilt by my machine shop would cost about
$400. I'd like to do it myself, but it would be pricey to buy the
head-specific tools--and would I actually have the skill to do it right?
Anyone want to go in with me on the valve depressor tool? Anyone want to
talk me into doing it myself? I'd actually prefer to.

I'll be installing the Brazilian head back onto the two liter, but I'll be
installing a new G grind cam that I got from Potterman. So if I don't
rebuild my head, I'm anticipating that I might have a problem with the
springs binding. Anyone thing this will be the case? Since I'll be
installing the cam, I'll have to buy the tools to do the valve shim
adjustment right?

So what is the best way to prepare the Brazilian head before bolting it on?
I've given it a good clean-up, and I've carefully removed carbon from the
valves. But how can I get it really, really clean without taking it apart? I
don't want little pieces of metal going into my freshly rebuilt 2 liter.

Anything else I should do to the head before bolting it on?

Thanks,
Theron