Re: Harmonic balancer?

PREFACE: I'm only talking about 1.8 16v's here, as that's the only motor I
know anything about first hand.

The main V-belt pulley that bolts to the crank of these motors is indeed a
harmonic balancer of sorts.  It's a fairly heavy two-piece part with a ring
of hard rubber between the two parts.  I'm using a Eurosport lightened
flywheel (8 lbs) with no ill effects so far, but I kept the harmonic pulley.
I'm hoping that this compensates for the possible unbalance generated by the
flywheel that Phil mentioned.  As for the flywheel, I love it!  My second
car is an '89 GTI 16V that's totally stock.  Compared to my Scirocco with
the TT race pipe and lightened flywheel, it revs like a COMPLETE slug.  I
hate driving it because I know how much better it could be.

As far as the other pulleys in the system being lightened, I can't see what
negative or unbalancing effect this would have.  My favorite way to reduce
drag on the motor from the pulleys is to get rid of the A/C and P/S though.

Ben R
138 hp '79 Scirocco 1.8 16v