Re: Harmonic balancer?

The 1.8L and other variations of VW wc engines are indeed internally
balanced.  That is to say that the crank and the flywheel are balanced
together.

One of the problems people get into (although they can't really tell most of
the time) is when they either lighten the crank or flywheel and throw the
whole assembly out of whack.  "Oh cool!  I have a lightened flywheel!  Now I
am gonna fly!"  No.  Sure, the engine still runs but it loses efficiency due
to being out-of-balance.  Secondly, a drastically lightened flywheel without
a correspondingly lightened crank causes a loss of low-end torque.  All you
time-demons out there should know that.  There are various degrees of it
(out-of-balance).  On my engine that I am having made, I am having a
flywheel balanced to mate with the crank and achieve good balance as the
rest of the engine will be balanced.  I need to get a reconditioned one, so
the builder said he'd do a flywheel for me instead of me having to buy one
that isn't necessarily balanced to the existing crank.

-PK