RE: Harmonic balancer?

When I stated "harmonic balancer" I was referring to
the thick solid steel pulley that bolts to the timing
gear on the crank.  This uses four allen-head bolts.

Since it's heavy enough to dampen, I assumed it was
technically a harmonic balancer.  If I'm wrong, please
educate me otherwise.  Whether changing it's mass
(inertia) by going to a smaller diameter will be
detrimental, I don't know.

On my car, the two-piece pulley on the water pump is
fine, and is not in question here.

Ron