Harmonic balancer?

List,

I was reciently told by a friend of mine that thinks he knows everything
that there is to know, that by replacing your pulleys with lighter smaller
underdrive pullies would screw up the harmonic balance of the engine and
cause it have a short lifespan???  Now someone is saying that there is a
seperate harmonic balancer from the pullies, so does that mean that putting
underdrive pullies on a rocco is ok?  I am assuming that it must be, because
i heard Brett talkin about getting some for his car, and i know that he
wouldnt do anything that would hinder the life of the engine!!!!!  Just
curious i guess, thanks.

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'88 Jetta GLI 16v (New winter car)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin a new life)
'84 Rabbit GTI RIP
'84 Jetta GLI<----------------------(For Sale) With Parts-_
'84 Jetta GLI (parts car)RIP<-----------------------------
ICQ# 91932895
AIM Username: xscirocco16vx
My web page (work in progress!)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~xscirocco16vx/index.htm

<snip>
>Hello 'roccers...
>
>Needing a pulley for my 16V ('87).  This is the
>sheetmetal pulley that fits inside the harmonic
>balancer and runs (I think) the P/S pump.
>
>I believe it separates from the harmonic balancer, but
>mine appear to be married by rust.  Mine is bent a
>bit, but usable; I'd prefer to get it out of there.
>Dealer wants way too much ($60!).  Daun did not have
>one :(
<snip>

http://profiles.msn.com.