KP/CM2...VDO gauge questions

Ok,...I thought I could figure this one out,...but I guess not.  The KP/CM2
gauge was going to go in today because one of my gauges crapped out.  The
three terminals on the back of the gauge were Pos, neg, and "gauge".  So I
hooked up the power and ground....left the gauge side unhooked and turned
the key to apply power,....the needle on the gauge pegs to the right.  WTF?
Shouldn't it stay to the left until it gets a signal from the pressure
switch?  Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris