transmission Q

I just drained the gear lube I put in around the beginning of the month. I
wanted to flush the tranny because I don't think it has ever had the gear
lube changed. I took out both drain plugs (one on the bottom and one on the
end near the driver's front wheel). I HAD to poke my finger into the side
plug hole and I noticed that the fifth gear kind of moves back and forth a
bit (left and right in relation to the car). I don't think it should do
this. Did I just find the source of the "squeeee" noise that the tranny
makes at low speed (< 50 mph) in fifth gear? Any recommendations?

adam l
86 8v