Re: wheels

>Todd Detwiler wrote:
>
> > I have a mk1 Scirocco and am considering buying new rims. I have been
> > thinking about going with 16", but I was wondering what other mk1 owners
> > were using. Is there anyone running 17" without a rubbing prob?
>
>I'm running 15's, with 195/50/15's.  No rubbing, no muss, no fuss.  Interest-
>ingly enough, 16's were the order of the day when we ventured east to
>Waterfest this year.. and just about everybody seemed to have rubbing issues
>to some degree.  16's on 'rocs don't seem to be as common out west here.
>We DO have plenty of Mk3/Mk4 Jettas and GTIs with 18's, 19's, 20's..  :0
>

>--
>Kevin Collins

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the cars you were riding in. :) Both
Mike and I are running 205/45 16's.  This is my second set of 205/45's,
but on different rims.  On the 7in wide Konig 40mm offset rims, I got
no rubbing at all.  The Brocks I'm running now have a very different
offset, as specified when I ordered them, and they are 7.5 inches wide.
Mike is also running 8mm H&R wheel spacers in the rear and his wheels
are 7.5 inches wide.  The 'correct' 205 tire to run is actually a
205/40 but due to the rather rough roads around where we live, the
extra 5% of height (about .75 - 1 inch) is worth it for ride quality
and rim protection.  Over the winter, I'll be putting coilovers on and
even *wider* tires on the back.  I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding
a ride height and spring rate that'll work for my application.  Mike's
tires didn't rub until he added the wheel spacers either I believe...

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net