Re: 50mm intakes/16v ABA Cams/16V Euro injection

At 1:54 PM -0400 10/3/00, UrGTI@aol.com wrote:
>I know a guy who had the "Euro" injection on his 16v cabriolet , he said
>there was a noticeable difference in throttle responce and more pull on the
>top end . The only drawback he found was on cold days (MN cold) was poor
>startup and cold idling compared to the CIS-E .

Here's the scoop on the euro FI, since I just had the thing installed on my
car last weekend.

First, it is mechanical - there are no electrical connections whatsoever to
the fuel distributor itself.  All it replaces is the fuel distributor and
the airflow plate/bowl assembly, and it adds a fuel regulator (which I see,
from Dirk's diagram, is the warm-up regulator) to the side of the cylinder
head.  Installation is pretty simple, all you have to do is shorten the
fuel return line and mix + match the braided lines to connect the cold
start valve and the fuel filter.

Second, like you said, the cold-weather driveability is pretty crappy, but
then again I haven't really tried to solve that problem yet.  A functioning
intake pre-heat, like the one I ripped out along with my stock airbox right
after taking the car home, would probably help.  The idle oscillates a lot
until the oil temp gets to around 75 degrees C, but other than that it's
fine.

Third, this euro FI stuff works.  I was expecting pretty moderate hp gains,
given that I had a P-module and the car didn't show any overt symptoms of
running lean.  What I got was amazing - the car just rips above 4000rpm,
and doesn't stop pulling hard until the rev limiter kicks in.  I gotta say
it's one of the best bolt-on mods I have done so far, and I think I've done
them all.  For the first time, I really feel like I'm making close to 100%
of my motor's potential :)

The car will definitely be getting onto the dyno before the end of the
year, and I'm expecting to make around 150hp at the wheels, with about
130lb/ft of torque.  More importantly, the powerband will be far deeper
below 6000 than it was before.  The torque curve seems fairly flat from
about 3500 on up past 6000.  Stay tuned!