Re: mfg date, parts confusion

At 10:08 AM 10/10/00 , Jorel wrote:

>  The brake pads I got for my '87 16v were the wrong
>kind. It turns out the right ones were the ones listed
>for an '86 scirocco. The parts person asked me to look
>at the manufacture date inside the driver's side door.
>It read December of 1986. Despite the title, which
>says '87, the parts person says this is actually a
>late model '86. Ever run into this before? I notice
>you have an '87 as well. Anyone else out there run
>into this? I hate ending up with the wrong
>parts...very frustrating.
>
>Jorel Jackson
>85 8v
>87 16v

Huh?!  That's weird, because the brake calipers were the same for all 16V
cars, regardless of production date.

The parts person is an idiot.  Your car is an '87.  Production for the 1987
Models started in August of 1986.  My car was made January 31, 87, for what
it's worth.

What probably happened is he gave you the brake pads for an 8V, which have
smaller rotors.  Again, the parts guy is an idiot...

:)
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro