(Non Roc)Acura/Honda, Lexus/Toyota, Infinity/Nissan NO DIFFERENT! was Re: Too close for comfort [long]

--- Marie Laugesen <scirocco@telus.net> wrote:
> Speaking of which, we have a few customers who have
> pulled off the honda/acura hybrid thing with amazing
> results.
> Anyone who works with these cars can tell you that >
aside from the manufacturer and the North American
> made cars, the Honda and Acura products are
> completely different.

I wish people outside of Japan would finally
understand that Acura is just Honda, Lexus is just
Toyota, and Infinity is just Nissan. The Japanese auto
makers were looking for ways to get more of their cars
into the North American market and decided to create
these branches. Albeit they are the more up scale
models, and usually more expensive, they are merely
the same companies. I lived in Japan for almost ten
years, I finally moved back to the States in 1996, and
every time I hear somebody mention something to the
effect of say Acura being anything other then a Honda
it makes me want to slap the hell out of them.

Take my experience back in 1989 when I came home for
vacation I mentioned to one of my brothers friends
that she had a nice Honda Integra, since that is what
they are called in Japan, she almost lost her friggen
mind, she blurted out "IT'S NOT A HONDA, IT'S AN
ACURA", when I informed her to take a look at all of
the engine components and tell me who the manufacturer
was she decided to calm down. She almost seemed in
shock to realize her car was just a Honda.

When I tell my Japanese friends that Americans get
wood over a Lexus because they think it's not a Toyota
but something more prestigious, they just laugh.

=====
Jeff Lowe
Garland, Texas
'86 Scirocco 16V (Daily driver)
'64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia (Newest project)
'59 Euro Spec Beetle (Waiting for resto)
'98 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 (The luxury mobile)