Who's rebuilt an 020 tranny?

I have one I yanked from my Cab, it has (I think) a
bad 3rd gear synchro (won't downshift from 4th without
a serious grind, upshift is OK)...I'd like to repair
it and put it back in the Cab, saving the 2Y (from a
16V) I put in there for something better.  Besides
it'd be a fun few evenings.  I consider myself an
above-average home mechanic.

I'm worried about special tools I ain't got and may
need...I've heard that at least one is mandatory...any
input?  I've done other trannies in the past (Fiat, of
all things, about 20 years ago, yes I'm old;
Borg-Warner, etc. so it doesn't frighten me...just
want the facts before I dig in.

What else should I know?

TIA

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
'93 Cab (soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past watercooleds...