Re: [non] vw awd's

Ewan Hopkins wrote:

> The VW syncro system is just a rebadged version of the audi 1st generation
> quattro system. this was found in the passat/quantum & golf/jetta syncro
> models.

Synchro and Quattro are completely different beasts. Synchro is front wheel
drive until the wheels slip and then power is biased to the rear end. The early
Quattro systems are full-time AWD and are set up as you described with
mechanically locking differentials.

Ironcially, Audi derived their system from a Volkswagen army vehicle.

--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!