Replacing motormounts and oddities.

Well I just got my motor mounts in from techtonics and went to work putting
them in.  I got the front rubber bushing in and when I went to the left side
of the engine it looked like I needed to remove the lower cover near the
timing belt.  Is this correct or is there an easier way to get to it without
removing all that crap?

Also with my tachometer that only works intermitantly I noticed it only works
when it is cold out. What the hell would cause that?

Thanks

Kevin
Baltimore
'87 scirocco 16v

Any marylanders want to get together some time and talk shop?