Re: CV joint boot torn (grr...)

This car is my daily driver, so I've put about 75 miles on
>the car since the boot ripped, and I just drove it home in heavy rain for
>12 of those miles. How much abuse/contamination can the joint take until I
>have to buy a new one and not just a new boot? I'm hoping to do the boot
>this weekend if I can get the materials and tools, but I doubt that will
>happen without a miracle of some kind.

You are probably still okay with the joints.  I'm not sure how long I drove
with ripped boots, but I'm sure it was a couple hundred miles at least.
Now, that wasn't in water, but I still think you'll be okay.  I'd be very
nice to the car until you replace the boots, though!

I need to get special CV grease, a
>new boot and clamps, what else? I should be able to get those three
>things locally. Is it much harder to change both boots on that axle at
>the same time?

That's all the parts you need.  Definitely change both boots on the axle!
No point in pulling the axle out and changing one boot just to have to
change another in a few months.

>Is this something I can realistically accomplish myself in a single day,
>outdoors with no garage? In Seattle ? :)  The other thing is I think there
>is some gear oil leaking out of
>the tear in the inner CV boot, would that be from my final drive flange
>seal(s) ? How hard is it to change them with the inner CV disconnected ?

You have to pull the inner CV joints to change the diff flange.  I have not
done this, but I have heard it is still somewhat difficult.  I think
pressing the flange back together takes some dexterity.  Someone who's been
there can give a better description.  Chris DeLong?  Shawn Meze?

>I've got some redline gear oil to drop in there but I'm (obviously) going
>to wait until I get the CV done now. Should I drop the passenger side one
>too and do its boots while I'm down there? Is there any reason to or not
>to?

If the passenger side diff seal is leaking, you'll have to pull that side.
Otherwise, there is no reason to do the passenger side at this time.

>Do I need a press for any of this stuff? I don't want a repeat of the
>passenger side motor mount 8-hours-of-hammering incident.

No press needed!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition