Re: CV joint boot torn (grr...)

> You have to pull the inner CV joints to change the
> diff flange.  I have not
> done this, but I have heard it is still somewhat
> difficult.  I think
> pressing the flange back together takes some
> dexterity.  Someone who's been
> there can give a better description.  Chris DeLong?
> Shawn Meze?

It is a mother%^#$ pain in the ass.  Pulling it is not
a problem, pressing it back in is not a problem.  But
getting the (*&()*&&&*&%$# circlip back on is a
painful evil process.  Getting it to stay in place
while you try to maneuver 2 flat screwdrivers while
laying on your back in the limited space next to the
tranny and under the oil pan is horrible.  About as
bad as spending half an hour with a pipe wrench trying
to get an original loc-tited tie-rod off.  It took me
about 45min of cursing and throwing stuff to scare the
little buggers back on.  That each - not 45min for
both.

> No press needed!

Not exactly true.  No press per.se, but you need the
special drive flange tool.  Just a bolt, nut and
clamp, but definitely necessary

> Ian Overholt
> '88 16v
> '78 Champagne Edition