Re: Tranny swap problem

In a message dated 05/18/2000 10:14:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
vwtype53@yahoo.com writes:

<< I am trying to figure out the easiest way to swap a AGB (16v) tranny with
 100mm flanges into my '81 rocco which currently has a 1.8 8v with the long
 ratio FF tranny (90mm flanges).  I have tried to simply swap the 90mm
 flanges into the AGB tranny but this doesn't work...the flanges are much
 different.  I thought that this would be the easiest solution so that I
 could retain my original axles and cv joints.  I know that the *best* way
 to do this swap would be to get new 100mm cv joints and all, but I can't
 afford that now...so, anyone know of a solution?
 TIA!! >>

You can do this; put an AGB in a car with an FF.  I actually did the opposite
a few years back.  what you need to do is swap not only the flanges, but the
flange seals.  If you notice on the AGB, and any other 100mm tranny, the
green tin sleaves that the seals go in where designed as an easy way to put
larger shafts in pretty much the same casting.  Compare the two side by side
and you may see what i mean.  On the FF, the seals go right in the case, so
you should be able to take out the sleeves on the AGB and put FF seals
directly in the case where the sleeve was.   Zat make sense?  It's hard to
describe.  Let me know how you make out.

HTH

Greg Faust