Tranny swap problem

I am trying to figure out the easiest way to swap a AGB (16v) tranny with
100mm flanges into my '81 rocco which currently has a 1.8 8v with the long
ratio FF tranny (90mm flanges).  I have tried to simply swap the 90mm
flanges into the AGB tranny but this doesn't work...the flanges are much
different.  I thought that this would be the easiest solution so that I
could retain my original axles and cv joints.  I know that the *best* way
to do this swap would be to get new 100mm cv joints and all, but I can't
afford that now...so, anyone know of a solution?
TIA!!

=====