No Start (revisited - long!)

I don't know whether to laugh, cry (which I did incidentally), be angry or merely scrap the whole car hobby thing but....

I got my car back last week from the mech who got the car to start. He told me that my cam sprocket had jumped a tooth. How the fuck would that happen? Fine, I thought. The car was running and I was happy to be driving a VW. The car was running lean (the mech felt that the Weber TB needed the lean mixture setup....whatever!).  So I decided to adjust the mixture to approximately 45%. I also decided to advance the timing to 10 degrees. The car started great and I took her out for a boot around the neighbourhood. I took of quite heavily at one point, leaving tire marks. However, a coupla blocks later, the car just died. I popped open the hood, leaned out the mixtire and retarded the distributor a bit. No start!  Well, a friend up the street came by and noticed that one of the neg. wires off the coil had fallen off. Hence, no start situation. Reconnect it and still no start. Luckily for me Mark Reda and my buddy Andrew decided to drop by and help me push the car home (uphill mind you...) I got it home, reset the timing and nada.

At the mechs today, he couldn't get it started. He reset the timing, checked for spark, adjusted the fuel mixture, and installed a jumper wire. Nothing! I helped him with it so I know for a fact that he couldn't get it started.  WTF? It was running great prior to all of this sheit. I'm at a loss and I think that the mech is pissed cuz I fucked around with the system when I had a perfectly well running vehicle. Oops! He says that I may have something wrong inside the motor. Is this at all possible? Man, I think it's time for a new hobby. BTW, it's an JH 8V motor and I added an adjustable cam sprocket will I was at it. Now if the car could only run................

Sal Guzzo

81 Scirocco S (16V to be - not running)
81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless - not running)
84 Rabbit (now Gti - not running)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg (running on 2 cylinders; hence not running)
67 Peugeot 404 (not a daily driver; hence also not running)