From: "Neal Tovsen" <sixteen.volt@gte.net>
To: "Scirocco-L" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: wiring for gauges
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 15:34:29 -0400

Everyone who's installed aftermarket gauges:

I'm trying to install a volt gauge and an oil pressure gauge. Here are my
questions:

1) The volt meter has two wires that obviously go to 12v positive and
ground. Do I gain/lose accuracy depending on where I wire it in? In other
words, is there an advantage to running wires to the fuse panel (or even the
battery itself) instead of just using the same leads as the light bulbs for
the gauges?

2) The oil pressure gauge has three wires. Logical deduction tells me that
the "+" goes to 12v positive, the upside-down "T" goes to ground, and "G"
goes to the sending unit. Unfortunately, this is my (failure-prone) logic,
so I'd like to know for sure. Is this correct? Is there any reason (gauge
accuracy, or whatever) not to use the same power leads as the light bulbs
for the gauges, but to wire into the fuse panel?

Thanks!
Neal
88 16v