RE: Handeling 8v VS 16v

The 16v *should* outhandle the 8v, but as you notice, having new parts makes
a big difference! The 16v had stiffer (and shorter?) shocks/springs, larger
anti-sway bars, a front lower stress bar, power steering with a slightly
different ratio, and lower profile tires. The only thing going against all
this is that the 16v is a little heavier. Even so, the 8v Mk2 handles very
well, and the differences are subtle. If everything on both cars is stock,
and the 16v actually is handling worse, I'd look into the shocks and all the
bushings on the suspension and steering.

The best test would be to take them on an auto-x course. Sometimes some
autocrosses have a practice session on Saturday with unlimited runs before
the actual event on Sunday. Show up with both cars on Saturday and explain
your goal of finding the differences in handling. I'm sure they would let
you test both cars. Take enough runs (at least 2-3) in both to get
consistent lap times in each car and feel the difference.

Neal
'88 16v