Handeling 8v VS 16v

I have been told that STOCK 16v's handle much better than STOCK 8v's...By
several mechanics. However my '87 16v Roc seems like it would fly off the
road if I pushed it like I used to push my '83 8v....Is it the year of the
car ??? I ran Bridgestone Roadhandler GT's on my old 8v. On my 87 16v I have
a Vredenstein tires...Anybody heard of these. Could it be the odd tires or
maybe those infamous tear drop rims. BTW - my 8v had a seized shock and I
would still laugh at people who tried to tailgate me in the twisties. Also,
I have had my suspension redone STOCK. It is totally tight. Any
suggestions....