Re: Steering rack problems, I hate this shit.

On Wed, 10 May 2000 18:36:52 -0400 "Gary A. Huff" <scirocco86@home.com>
writes:
> Yeah, the bolt is out and I have tried spreading it open with a
> screwdriver to no avail. I think next I' going to try using a
> balljoint pickle fork puller thingie :) If anyone has any more
suggestions let
> me know.

You could also try undoing the universal joint at the steering column.
You can then hold on to the U joint as you drive the rack's input shaft
out of it.

There is a rounded spot on the rack's input shaft where a punch can be
centered, and used to drive it out.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts