Re: Handeling 8v VS 16v

Well, I did an engine swap from 8v to 16v recently to my car '84 GTX and
I used to autocross with it before and after and what can I say. When I
swapped the engine I left the suspension as it is I have upper stressbar and
I only added stock 16v lower stressbar and when I went back to autocross
my first impression of the 16v and my cars handling was the same as you
describe. But I took more and more laps and began to understand the problem.

The problem was, that the 16v was so much more powerful that I had to change
my driving habits quite a bit. When with 8v I could go to corners flat out
and
spin my wheels etc, then with 16v this didnt work, cos it had enough power
spin both wheels as he liked and then I had to release the gas to stay on
the road,
but this made the car to loos control on rear wheels (First wheel blocking
effect
on FWD cars when you release the gas on corner). Even though I got better
lap
times with my 16v despite all this wheelspin and slipping on corners. But
when
I got it under control and got the feeling how much you can push your 16v
then
the times improved even more!

So by the driving methods 8v and 16v seem to be totally different cars,
try to understand that.

Runs where performed with my stock 1.8 DX 112HP engine and new 139Hp KR 16v
engine.
Want to see me racing check:
http://www.ttu.ee/~laurts/scirocco/video/TabasaluValjast.avi

Lauri!
'84 1.8 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
http://www.ttu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
I finally added nothing new to my site!