Re: more on [mk2] brakes

> - could be bent backing plate rubbing on drum outer
> edge, or

Could be - I'll have to check on that

> - did you pop the handbrake cable back behind the
> l-shaped retainer. If not,
> it could be rubbing

Yes - did that (it hadn't been done by the PO)

> - did you refit the retainer pins/springs and did
> you turn the cylinder
> pistons so that the retaining lug on the piston face
> was towards the
> outside. If the answer is no to both of these, then
> the shoes may have moved
> enough to rub on the drum edge.

Yes - did all of those

> >and the dust-cap wants to work itself out when it
> is
> >rotated (air in the grease?).
> Is your split pin bent far enough back in to not
> foul the cap?

The dust cap is pretty banged up. It might be rubbing
against the pin.. I'll check on that - I'll do the pin
around the retaining nut instead of over the top.

> Too much grease combine with an air bubble might
> also do this.

hehe - I wasn't sure how much grease to put in it, so
I packed it pretty tight - How much grease should you
use when re-packing the rear wheel bearings?

=====
Mark

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v