Re: Brake problem!

Lee Folkman wrote:

> Today as I was driving, my front passenger wheel started making scraping
> noises.  So i pull off the tire, and my brake pads are completely gone, and
> my rotor is scrapped up bad.  I had just put these brake pads in last
> December I believe.  They are Mintex pads.  i have no clue why it would do
> this.  could my brakes be locked up somehow? it seemed to roll fine though.
> it's hard to turn the rotor but i'm guessing that's 'cause there are no
> pads.  There is brake dust all over, so i don't think the pads just broke
> off, if that's possible.  any reasons why this would happen?
>
> Lee Folkman

Sounds like the brake caliper (piston) doesn't retract and it dragged
the pad to death.

I would look to rebuild the front end, you may be looking for new
caliper pistons, but min is new rotors, pads, caliper bushings and anti
rattle clips.

Think ATE as a brand, don't cheap out at the local Midas shop or parts
house- they (those selling you parts) will not be with you when you
really, really need the brakes to work.

It's possible the rotor is below min thickness, this over extends the
piston and it can't work too well.

Oh, and you won't be doing just one side- match the left & right sides
w/ the same components- You can defer the rears for another time.

hth,
TBerk