Brake problem!

Today as I was driving, my front passenger wheel started making scraping
noises.  So i pull off the tire, and my brake pads are completely gone, and
my rotor is scrapped up bad.  I had just put these brake pads in last
December I believe.  They are Mintex pads.  i have no clue why it would do
this.  could my brakes be locked up somehow? it seemed to roll fine though.
it's hard to turn the rotor but i'm guessing that's 'cause there are no
pads.  There is brake dust all over, so i don't think the pads just broke
off, if that's possible.  any reasons why this would happen?

Lee Folkman
'84 Wolfsburg Scirocco 8v (soon to be turbo)
'82 Jetta Diesel(225,000+ and can still get 50mpg)
http://scirocco84.homepage.com