Re: Front wheel bearing replacement/Front-end alignment

DavidG1952@aol.com wrote:

> Well I finally got the 1981 Scirocco "S" up and running that I got
> from listening to the list last year. Remember it was free and had
> a blown head.

Grrr, second aint a win, grrrrr.  :)

> In any case I had to drop everything and restore it. Now that
> its done I want to thank the list for all the help, especially
> Scott Williams who made the post to the list in the first place,
> YO BRO!
> Now that I've been around the block with it a few times
> it sounds like it's gonna need a wheel bearing or perhaps the sound
> is due to the need for its front-end alignment. My question is:
> Can I go ahead and get it aligned first? Or will this need to be
> done again after the wheel bearing job?
> (if it is a wheel bearing, hard to tell!)

Spin the wheel when it's off the ground. Hear a 'sandy' noise? Bad
bearing. If it roars while you drive it can't be much else.

> No matter what happens now I will definately get it to ND for the show!
>
> David Guido

Dave! OK, now then- There is a way to leave the hub attached with the
use of a bearing puller. Otherwise you fully disassemble the thing to
take it in and have the bearing race pressed out and you will need an
alignment upon reassembly.

I have a NEW Mk1 bearing as yet uninstalled if you need one for this,
plus some neeto Redline synthetic grease (it's slippery) I bought For my
rear bearings and upcoming A2 CV repair.

Lemme know. (tick, tick, tick, tick.... the show is waaaay too close)

TBerk