Re: Front wheel bearing replacement/Front-end alignment

Do it after the wheel bearing replacement.
Disconnecting the steering knuckle will de-align your
camber setting.  You COULD (if you are very careful)
not screw this setting up by marking the position of
the top bolt of your suspension housing, but if you
are going to pay the $50 to get it aligned, you might
as well do it after instead of worrying about that....

Remember to check your ball joints and tie-rod ends
while you have the knuckle off... also real easy to
re-pack your CV joints since you have to remove them
anyways... and a good time to check your brakes, and
your control arm bushings ;)

Have fun

--- DavidG1952@aol.com wrote:
> Well I finally got the 1981 Scirocco "S" up and
> running that I got from listening to the list last
> year. Remember it was free and had a blown head. In
> any case I had to drop everything and restore it.
> Now that its done I want to thank the list for all
> the help, especially Scott Williams who made the
> post to the list in the first place, YO BRO!
> Now that I've been around the block with it a few
> times
> it sounds like it's gonna need a wheel bearing or
> perhaps the sound is due to the need for its
> front-end alignment. My question is:
> Can I go ahead and get it aligned first? Or will
> this need to be done again after the wheel bearing
> job?
> (if it is a wheel bearing, hard to tell!)
> No matter what happens now I will definately get it
> to ND for the show!
>
> David Guido
> 1980 Scirocco (2.0L 16v in progress)
> 1981 Scirocco "S" (restored)