Re: 79 rocco idle to high....?

chris wrote:

> i just bought a 79 S with the 1.8 jh and the guy told me the timing was very
> retarded because it neede an adjustable cam sprocket??

Bullsh!t.

> what does that have
> to do with anything, and he said that i need an adjustable cam sprocket to
> make it run right because it has a milled head and mild cam, is it me or
> does the guy not know what he is talking about?

Oh, well then. Maybe so. See, when you mill the head down a bunch it
increases the compression in the cylinders but also changes the location
of the center of the cam(s). This can then change the timing.

> well know to the idle part, i set the ignition timing to the correct timing
> and it idled just right but when i gave it gas it starts backfiring and has
> no power, so i retard the timing to were it runs real good but it idles at
> 2000 no matter were the idle adjuster screw is...
> could this be a vacuum leak, and were the hell would i start to look if it
> was, i dont here any vacuum leak noises?
> any help would be cool
> thanks
>
> Chris
> Portland, OR
> '79 S
> '80 Shitty Scirocco

You might be on a good track even though it might not fix you problem
directly. No vacuum leak is a good leak, but you may not be able to fix
it that way. Might need to consider one of two things- A thicker gasket
to raise the currently (overly)shaved head OR a replacement head that
retains some material on the bottom edge. Making lemonade I'd say it is
a great time to have one out of the junkyard reconditioned with new
guides and a valve job.

Adjustable cams are available but I've never used one in real life. Any
listers with real hands on wanna chime in?

TBerk
(some performance mods are not worth it)