RE: break caliper color question???

> I used "Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic."  Supposed to withstand
> intermittent temps up to 500 degrees F.  There were probably 15 different
> colors in stock when I got it.  It is very durable, too.  Sprayed
> my oil pan
> and lower tie bar, and they have both held up well.   I just resprayed the
> calipers after 1 1/2 years.  Great product for only $5.00 a can!
>
> Hint:  When the can says "for additional coats after 1 hour,
> allow paint to
> cure for 5 days", believe it.

Yes, and also be SURE to push the piston in (to drain the fluid) BEFORE you
paint! Even with that, you're almost guaranteed to get a little fluid on the
caliper when you bleed the brakes, and that fluid will eat right through the
paint. Fortunately, the bleeder valve is on the back of the caliper, so you
can't see it.

I used plain-ol' RED engine paint from DupliColor. I was going to get the
number for you (I just did mine a couple weeks ago), but I guess I threw the
can out. It looks really good. If you don't want "ricey", then (IMHO, of
course!) you're pretty much limited to either red, black, or silver. If you
go red, don't get the Ford Red...it's got a hint of orange that looks funny
with Tornado Red. The best advice, no matter what color, is to test it on a
piece of scrap metal and stick it in your wheel well to see if you like it.

FWIW, A company called Folia Tec makes a "caliper laquer kit". I found an ad
for a company  called Ultra Performance <http://www.ultraperformance.com> in
SCC that carried it. It's a 2-part paint with a special cleaner, so I'd
guess it's an epoxy-based paint. $49.99 is kinda expensive, but I imagine it
probably stands up to brake fluid better than engine paint.